What is Facebook
Facebook can help you connect with people in your community and all over the world through the mobile internet.
You can use Facebook to stay in touch with family, friends and people you do business with. You can get news about what’s going on in the world, or find out more about your favourite celebrities and sports teams. Facebook is what’s known as a ‘social network’. There are other social networks on the internet that work in a similar way.
Using words, photos and videos, you can communicate with one person, a specific group of people or millions of people all over the world. But you need to be aware that Facebook is public, so others will be able to see what you put on it.
You can access Facebook on an internet browser through your smart or feature phone by going to www.facebook.com.
The next step is to create a Facebook account so your friends can find you.
- Enter your real name,
- your birthday,
- your mobile number,
- your gender.
- Choose a secret word that you need to remember, keep it safe!
- Type in the confirmation code, which you will have received via SMS or WhatsApp.
- And click “Ok” to login.
Now you will need to add people as friends on Facebook.
- Select the Friends icon.
- Search for your friends’ names and add them.
- Each friend you “add” will receive a friend request.
- If your friend accepts your request, you will able to see whatever information they share whenever you use Facebook and they will be able to see your Facebook updates and activity.
Your Facebook account is ready – and now you can share personal stories and updates, or information about your business.
- You can add text in the space where it says “What’s on your mind?”
- You can add a photo or video by tapping the camera icon.
- You can choose if you want to share your post with friends, or with the public, meaning anyone can see your post.
To stay safe on Facebook, you can decide who you want to interact with. By tapping on the Privacy icon, you can go down to Privacy Shortcuts, and choose who can see your information, who can contact you, and how you can stop someone from contacting you or seeing your Facebook activity.
If you use Facebook, you will need to buy data from your mobile network provider.
Certain Facebook activities – like watching videos or listening to music, posting images or viewing pictures – will use more data than making comments or sharing personal updates with words, so will cost more.
The mobile internet makes it easy to stay in touch with friends, family and the wider world. Why don’t you try it today?